Results are in from Scotland, where something like 250 coffee loving Scots gathered to crown a champion. Hosts Dear Green Coffee Roasters have this fantastic gallery on FaceBook, while we have the winners and their recipes below:
1st Place – Claire Wallace
Barista, Machina Espresso, Edinburgh
- 17g coffee, fine filter grind, add 40g water,
- pre infuse for 30 seconds, stir three times,
- immediately add 180g water,
- stir three times @ 1 minute.
- Long, slow 50 second pour to finish @ 2 minutes.
- Top up final beverage with 20g water!
2nd Place – Bryan Serwatka
Head of Drinks, Riverhill
- 15.7g of coffee ground medium fine – slightly coarser than espresso
- Add 6g splash of cold water to inverted Aeropress, then add coffee
- Add 60g of 86°C water, stir 4 times, bloom for 1:05
- Stir once, add 155g water @ 75-78°C – leave until 2:00 mark
- Stir once, invert, slowly plunge into cooled vessel until 2:50 mark, leaving around 15-25g in the Aeropress
3rd Place – Dean Fairbairn
Barista, Cult Espresso, Edinburgh
- 17.5 grams coffee
- 260 grams of water at 76 degrees
- flush paper
- steam grind to loosen solubles
- fill, no bloom
- slow 1 minute extraction